Many incidents of Shaken Baby Impact Syndrome are not reported out of fear.
It is important to seek immediate and early medical attention.
Symptoms of SBIS:
- Head turned to one side
- Unable to lift or turn head
- Pinpointed, dilated, or unequal size pupils
- Blood pooling in the eyes
- Pupils unresponsive to light
- Bulging or spongy forehead
- No smiling or vocalization
- Poor sucking or swallowing
- Semi-consciousness, lethargy, or decreased muscle tone
- Difficulty breathing
- Seizures or spasms
- Swollen head, which may appear later
SBIS Can Be Lethal
- 1 in 4 babies die from the injuries
- Those who survive may suffer
- blindness caused by bleeding around the brain and eyes
- disabling brain damage including mental illness (mild to severe)
- seizure disorder
- speech and learning disabilities
- neck and back damage
- dislocated bones
Serious complications and even DEATH can be avoided if you seek medical assistance immediately.
Warning Signs of Injury of Shaken Baby Impact Syndrome
- Poor Feeding/Eating
- Cardiopulmonary arrest
- Failure to thrive
- Pale or blush skin
If you suspect your baby is a victim of Shaken Baby Impact Syndrome, do not delay.
Call 911 and get your baby to the emergency room right away.